Monday, November 25, 2013

Atlantis: The Lost Disney Classic?

         Yesterday, as I lay procrastinating my real homework, I decided I wanted to watch Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001). What can I say, Netflix just makes not doing calc homework so easy. I always had really fond memories of this movie when I was a kid and for some reason, it just wasn't a movie I ever revisited.
          First off, I really couldn't get past the sloppy animation. There are some sequences that are really captivating with beautiful landscape, but then others just look a little bit too much like a cartoon. Also, they tried to do sort of meta-3D shots with the submarines that look really outdated. They lacked any sort of shadows, which sort of took me out of the film entirely. However, I may be looking at it from a fairly spoiled eye, so I'm sure this animation was more advanced than I'm giving it credit for.

tumblr_lvuwye0ajb1qm6oc3o1_500
C'mon guys, are you even trying with this lobster?
          What this movie lacks in animation, it makes up for with captivating characters. Milo is a refreshing take on a male lead. He is very awkward and nerdy, but incredibly lovable. He in unlike any other Disney male lead (except for perhaps Quasimodo) in that he lacks the stereotypical Prince Charming look. The entire crew was so funny and dynamic that I'm surprised this movie isn't more well-liked. Vinny, the demolitions expert, genuinely makes me laugh more than I think any other Disney character (props to whoever wrote him in). I just wish the cast had gotten a little bit more screen time. 
image
Sorry not sorry.
As much as I love Milo and Kida, the crew is just simply more entertaining. Kida also has really cheesy lines, but she still is an interesting character. And why isn't Kida considered a Disney princess? ...Maybe it's because she'd be the first Disney princess to punch someone in the face.
          While the characters themselves were entertaining, the plot just wasn't interesting enough for me to want to watch this movie again. It was fairly predictable and got boring after the first half hour. Even though its a bit boring plot-wise, they somehow rush the plot so there is never really any moment where the audience feels a powerful moment. That's not to say that I didn't like this movie though. Atlantis was definitely enjoyable, but I might bury it down into the ocean for a few more years before I watch it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment